Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Being a Dad: Surviving Christmas (The Snowman)

Hello and Welcome Home,

You may be thinking, “why on earth is he talking about a snowman?” Well, there is a good reason and it is also a pretty straightforward message that comes with the snowman and how being a dad connects to that snowman.


When we released the 2nd Edition of Reflecting Christmas, I wrote a new chapter about building a tiny snowman family. It started out with Mr. Holly. It was the first tiny snowman my eldest daughter ever built. 


I came home one day to see it sitting on our front porch and this little 6 year old came running out yelling, “did you see Mr. Holly?” I asked why she called it that and all she said was “he just makes me happy.” I had no clue she could even connect the word holly with happiness.

I pondered that for a while and began to ask myself why I joined in and created the rest of the family with her and you know what, that was my answer too, “making snowmen just made me happy.”


This reminded me of the joy that can come through this season, I’ve always felt, joy is the essence of happiness and a counterpart to love. The two come hand in hand. Making snowmen brings my daughter and I happiness and when we do it together our bond grows. 

This gives us Joy and in turn, gives us a deeper connection to that father-daughter bond of love. Being a dad means bringing joy to the hearts of our children even in the coldest season of their lives.



So don’t be afraid to find Joy in life, to embrace that joy, and to share it with your children.

Living by faith, with my family,


M.E.

No comments:

Post a Comment