Thursday, December 17, 2020

Being a Dad: Surviving Christmas (Candy Cane Style)

 Hello and Welcome Home!

Each year one of the more important symbols of Christmas to my kids is undoubtedly the Candy Cane.


Every time they see a box in the store or a restaurant handing them out a Christmas, my three little ones Jump for Joy. Next to chocolate candy canes are their favorite. 

I would even go as far as saying that the candy cane is the most universal symbol of Christmas and even one of the cheapest to get a hold of. Being a dad that survives Christmas in my household will surely require me to invest in some.



History has many tales about how the candy cane came to be, but all of them have one thing in common. The stories all tell of how this little piece of candy brought about the biggest reaction. The impact being a dad can have on helping us survive Christmas this year may not be what we think. 

More likely, the thing that helps us through the hustle and bustle of this season will be something small that really only means something to us and our families. That’s worth fighting for in my book. 

Even when my biggest, most involved attempt at creating a new holiday tradition doesn’t go the way I want, there will always be that one small, seemingly ineffective thing that makes this Christmas one of the best. 

One of the best memories I have of Christmas with my daughter, Leyla, is making a tiny snowman family with her and taking a picture of it to share with everyone else.

That memory didn’t cost me anything but an hour or so playing with my Daughter. Today, making tiny snowmen families together is still something we enjoy doing together.

This year, let's make being a dad who survives Christmas, about those special unplanned moments that become memories. Life is a fleeting moment for us dads, enjoy it while you can, but remember it also.

Living by Faith with My Family,

M. E. 

No comments:

Post a Comment