Sunday, December 22, 2019

Being a Dad: Holiday Joys?

Hello and Welcome Home!

Being a Dad during the holidays can be stressful. There are many things that come into play. Questions that we, as dads, have to answer for ourselves, and for our loved ones, weigh on our hearts and minds. What should we get for those that we care about? How much time do we actually need to take off, if we can? Where should we spend the holidays, here, there, or somewhere else?


I have always struggled with that and this year was no different. I mean, my family is very important to me but I didn't want to go overboard. This year my wife and I wanted a simple, yet memorable, holiday season. So far it's been... a bit of a struggle. There are so many things that can be done, so many things that I know my family would love. 

We planned on taking the family to St. Louis for a holiday weekend with the Inlaws, but that didn't happen. Car troubles Galor.  I wanted to do some special events with the kids, but that won't happen. Sickness Reins Supreme. The kids wanted to go Ice Skating downtown, but that won't happen. Money doesn't grow on trees. I wanted to sell a bunch of my Christmas devotionals on Amazon, but that didn't happen. So many things we wanted to do, but so little time to do it in. 


Being a dad during the holidays doesn't seem like it's going to be any fun, does it?


STOP!

STEP BACK!

REMEMBER!




Didn't we want a simple, yet memorable holiday season?


REMEMBER!

STEP FORWARD!!

GO! 


What about what we are planning on doing? Wasn't there anything that we did or that we will do as a family that encourages memorable experiences?

I love going to the tree farm and cutting down a Christmas Tree as a family. We did that! Pictures are amazing reminders of that. My wife wanted to have some time to spend with friends. She did that and loved the time she got. The kids wanted to find gifts for each other, we did that and they loved doing this as a family. I wanted to take some time off work and spend with everyone. I did that and it will be the first holiday I've been able to do that in a long, long time. So many things we wanted to do, and we did them.

The holidays have been memorable and I have loved being able to be with my family. So things are turning out pretty fun and memorable. Sometimes being a dad leads to stressful moments, but when we take a step back we can see what really happened. Its been a wonderful holiday season this year and while things didn't go like we imagined they would, there have still been some memorable moments. 

The memories and moments we choose to reflect upon this holiday season can either bring Joy or Sadness. They can bring positivity or discouragement. I choose to let me holiday memories bring Joy and so can anyone who reads this post.  There as still some memories that can be made and they can be memories that make the holiday something to reflect upon with a smile. 

"When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider this: God has made the one as well as the other." Ecc 7:14a NIV

Living by Faith, with our Family; 


M.E.


No comments:

Post a Comment