Sunday, October 21, 2018

5 Lessons Being a Dad has Taught Me!

Hello and Welcome home!

Growing up, one of my biggest dreams was being a dad. I have said it before and will say it again. Being a dad has really opened my eyes up to an entirely different view of the world around me. Has it been what I dreamed, well no, it's been entirely different? Even with the chaotic moments becoming a dad has brought and the learning curve that has been thrust upon me, life is better. Life is fuller, and life is more memorable.

It's funny to think that my children are still so young and I have learned so much. I still have so much more to learn and experience before I will ever claim to be the dad my children deserve. Honestly, it will be a lifelong journey, and I guarantee I will make mistakes along the way but, the lessons learned will be fulfilling.

I can tell you this, what I have learned so far has been life-altering. While these 5 lessons are not all that I have learned, they important to me, and to my children.

1. Being a Dad is a gift, not a 'curse.'


I love the show monk, it's one of my all time favorite shows and I have always loved that line, 'it's a gift, it's a gift and a curse.' I always thought there was some underlining message there and in this example, the message is this. While it may seem like a 'curse' at times, the reality for me at least is that I have been given one of the greatest blessings God could ever bestow upon a man, being a parent.

I think of it this way, God has given me the right to be the first example of his fatherly love to my children. It is my example that will give them a glimpse of how amazing his love is for them, as their heavenly dad. It is a huge responsibility and probably the biggest one I will ever have.

2. Being a dad means getting out of your comfort zone.


Yes, my children force me to do things I have told the world I will never do. They need fun, and while I am typically a very reserved individual, I cannot be that way around them. I have never openly been one to do crazy things, but when my children want me to pretend I am a pirate on a ship when in reality we are on a public play structure, I can't just tell them no. Can I?

At home when my children want to have a crazy dance party while listening to Pandora, I can't just leave them hanging. Here is a big one, children love to run around and get muddy when it rains. Anyone who knows me understands, I hate getting dirty. I mentioned monk before, well, let's just say, we have a few things in common. Anyway, when they want to play in the mud, as a dad my children expect me to play in it too.

3. Being a dad teaches humility.


We all know our children love to tell us we are wrong. One of my biggest struggles as a younger man just learning about the real world was being prideful. As a younger man, I was arrogant, I was right, and everyone else was wrong. I took things very personally. Truthfully, I struggle with it still. Children are great at calling their parents out, mine are no exception, and usually, they are right.

While it is still a struggle, I know realize it more often and have learned the value of holding my tongue. I have also learned the value of embracing a more peaceful attitude towards others, and it's because my children, especially the oldest, will respond in similar kind if I am not watching myself. Now, don't get me wrong, I am still vocal, and I still stand my ground when I feel my spirit stirring but my method is that of humility, not pride.

4. Being a dad embraces grace.


Another favorite movie of mine,  believe it or not, is beauty and the beast. Yes, I know, it's a love story, come on, just admit you like love stories and move on. Oops, sorry, let me hold my tongue again. Anyway, I love the story, and yes, I do love a good practical love story, if the plot isn't too predictable. There is a line that Clocksworth, Mrs. Potts, and good old Lumiere tell Beast. 'Above all, you must control your temper. I love that line and dads, it's a hard one to accept,  isn't it? 

Our children will mess up, they will terrorize your home, break hour favorite dad toy, lie to you and blame something you know they did on their younger sibling and even yell when you are watching your favorite TV show. This is part of the learning process for them. When they do we inevitably will want to discipline them, and while there will always be a time for that, there will also be a time to let grace take over.


5. Being a dad reveals the world through God's eyes.


Okay, this may sound a bit preachy, but for me, it is 100% truth and one of the biggest and most valuable lessons I have ever learned. Before my wife and I had children, my view of the world one came from my own eyes. Getting married slowly began to prepare my heart of a new view. I learned patience and what it was like to experience deep human love. I thought it was amazing, and the life we share grows deeper every day.


Becoming a dad, took that experience to a whole new level. The way I love my wife evolved, and the love that erupted from the depths of my heart for our children is... immeasurable! It was a revelation to me that God's love is so much more, and I began to emanate into everything around me. It has pierced the veil, so to speak, of the world around me. Seeing the world this way is a very special thing, and it only developed in my heart through being a dad.

Wow! I wasn't planning on writing so much into this post but being a dad is a huge part of me, and there is so much more that could be said. I guess it's a good thing I didn't title this '10 lessons being a dad has taught me.' LOL. That being said dads, these lessons I have learned changed my life. I am not the man I used to be. In fact, these lessons are just a few of the many being a dad has taught me. I hope they encourage you.

Living by faith, with our family;

M.E.

No comments:

Post a Comment