Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Being a Dad when your WHOLE FAMILY, is down for the count.

Hello and Welcome Home!

Elliott Family, Christmas 2018!
Have you ever battled with what to do when your family is down for the count, on the edge of the deep dark world of getting over being sick? Let me tell you, it's a battle for me every time. Being sick myself, it's no big deal. I will go to work if it's not contagious or if I believe I need the money. Subconsciously, I don't really care about my own well being, but being a dad and a husband, it's another thing altogether.


Eldest Daughter!
 Yesterday, I got the dreaded news, "honey we all have colds, I'm pretty sure your allergies are the same thing. It's not the fun kind of cold either." Instantly, I went into battle mode, "I need to go home, take care of my family. Wait though, I don't have a sick day, or two as it seems it has become, to give up. We won't get paid. Oh man, we need the money, but my family needs me." Back and forth, back and forth,  what to do, what to do. "Man, I don't like being the decision maker on this, let me see what she thinks," (send first response text to wife on break).  "I can come home, but we won't get the money." She responds, "yes." This doesn't tell me anything.

Elliott Kids Playing in Snow!
I finally respond. "I will," not to pull from my wedding vows or anything. Anyway, I head home, my first thought is to get the kids and the wife lunch. "Hmm, chicken noodle soup or crackers and Sprite." My son comes into the kitchen, "I want fruit loops." I think I am going to regret this, but I give them to him anyway. Naturally, the youngest says she wants them to, with her binky in her mouth, "I want ruth, roops, ruu." Same story different kiddo. The eldest hiding under the blanket says mumbling it a soft voice, " I'm good, I don't want any." I think to myself; whew, one less kid to worry about for the moment. It's time for my own lunch, "soup or crackers, hmm, let's just do both." 

Youngest Daughter!
I don't have any Sprite, so I get a mango LaCroix, ice it up and make some echinacea tea for the wife and I, thinking she's going to live this. (link to some benefits of echinacea) In the process, I make a huge mess of the drink station we set up for guests only to find out she didn't really want it. Finally, I get back to the stove, check the soup and thank God it's not burned, seconds away but still good to eat.

It was a fiasco and only two hours into the battle. "Man, I am ready to be done with this, maybe I should have stayed at work, wait. My family needs me right now." The rest of the night was just as crazy and even worse when the younger two got a burst or two of energy and my system became to accept it was sick and not just allergies. But we will leave it at that. You are probably asking, is there a point to all this maniac's rambling?

Dad and Son!
Of course, there is, my point friends is that overcoming fears while being a dad is important. Embracing the moment your challenges reveal themselves, is important as too. When those situations come that bring on the dreaded internal battle that we face as dads, its. It comes down to, on choosing family and trusting the rest will work out or choosing the work and taking care of those you love in other ways. For me, it will always be a battle, some days I choose family and some days I choose work.  I never really know which side wins until I make that choice.

Doing what dads do is never really predictable but I say, the options weigh themselves out evenly each time. I want to encourage you though, don't be afraid to choose. Is it always going to be the right choice, well, I don't really know, but will it work out in the end, let's just say the battle rages on regardless and in the end, the battle will be done. Encouraging dads is a big part of this blog in its entirety, so feel free to reach out when you need a bit of a push through the battle.

Being a dad doesn't come in a book or some sort of kit you can buy from Amazon. It comes from those battles you daily face. Sometimes we win, sometimes we don't. Just don't give up.


Living by Faith, With Our Family;

M.E. 

No comments:

Post a Comment