Monday, July 15, 2019

Being A Dad: Learning to be A Teachable Dad

Hello and Welcome Home!

It has been way too long since I've last posted on this blog and I really been to get back into it I have learned much about being a dad since my last posting and am learning more with every passing moment. 


As I've always said becoming a dad was a life long adventure, right? For me, one of the hardest paths this journey has taken me on is the path of being a teachable dad. It's not as easy as it looks and it's been a bit overwhelming, at times. 

There are definitions that writers, speakers, doctors, and others have used over the years, but I'm really working on being able to embrace teachable moments that have chaotically presented themselves in the midst of everyday life.  You know, those moments when your kids are driving you nuts, and you're really working on creating that bald spot for retirement. Those moments when you just want to turn, run, then hide in the bedroom for 20 minutes. We've all been there, more recently then we'd really like to admit too. 

The Deal is though, I'm learning that those are the best moments. Those are the moments when you can really learn to be the best dad you can be. Being a dad has its ups and downs, but when you can really embrace a moment of frustration and chaos while turning it into a teachable experience it really makes a difference. 

One of the best teachable moments I've had with my Son was while we were out hunting for Pokemon. I honestly, blew it at the time. I really did, but upon realizing what I had done a few days later, I was able to take him aside, apologize and turn that moment into a beautiful memory for us both. 

I can truthfully tell you that this was a moment that I really needed to apologize to him for. It was one of those moments in which I really should have stopped for a moment, and took a deep breath. I didn't; Ended up yelling and really didn't need too. The best part of talking to him about it again after the fact really helped him understand the lesson he needed to learn at the time. If I had not done what I did a few days later, he would have never gotten the message.

As a child growing up with a father who typically responded in anger, I often struggled with accepting the lesson he was trying to teach me. While my father always came to me after the fact and assured me that he was just using the 'tough love' tactic,  It really hurt.  

We have since worked through those feelings, but it was something I hope I learned from. Sometimes 'tough love' is needed, but as dads, we also need to assure our children that we love them and apologize when we know we've done them wrong.

We may not always realize where we are coming internally, and that is okay. Knowing this though, if we come from a place of anger and frustration, it really never turns out well, does it? It leads to being a dad that is resented, not admired. It leads to a hurt memory, not a loving one. This can make it hard to turn those chaotic moments into teachable ones. I don't say this to state, teachable moments only come from the chaotic world around us. They can come from calm, breathable moments as well.  

This week, I'd like to challenge any dad who reads this to seek out those teachable moments. Whether they come in the chaos or the calm, they are still out there. Being a Dad, a teachable dad; Is a journey all its own. Just for kicks, feel free to share your teachable memories, good and bad, in the comments below. Next Post, we'll dig deeper into the lessons we can learn while learning to embrace them. 


Living by Faith, with our Family; 


M.E. 




No comments:

Post a Comment