Monday, August 19, 2019

Being A Teachable Dad: Accepting You Make Mistakes Too!

Hello and Welcome Home! 

So, I struggle with accepting my mistakes. Yep, I said it. 

It's out in the open, I have failed as a father and as a believer.  My mistakes have cursed me for life and being a dad will never be the same again.


It's okay, I know what you are thinking. Go ahead, post your insults in the comments below and let's move on... Just kidding...

Fact: Most Dads struggle with their mistakes. Whether it be on the Job, with our spouse/kids or even in our spiritual walks, the mistakes happen and there is nothing we can really do about it when it happens. It is just part of life. We can't avoid them, but we can learn from them. 

Rumor: As dad's, our mistakes will haunt us forever.  Our loved ones will have to deal with our mistakes for all eternity and those mistakes will ruin lives along the way. This has bee drilled into my head and I'm really tired of people telling me that. The reality is this, they may haunt you for a time, but what has more of an impact is how we respond after the mistake is made. What matters is what we learn to help avoid the mistake next time the opportunity presents itself. 

Fact: Even though mistakes happen, they don't define who we are. Truthfully, mistakes help us become a better dad. When we take what we learn from the mistakes that take place in life, we know from experience how to help our children avoid the same mistakes, We can embrace an opportunity to be a teachable dad. 

Rumor:  Our mistakes keep us from being the difference-maker. Because mistakes are always there, they can hold us back from reality. They keep us from reaching our full potential. Mistakes can actually result in bringing our focus back where it should be. When we are able to use those moments too 'bounce back' on the right path. They become milestones in our lives. They become moments that lead to choices that will define who we are. 

It really isn't easy to accept that we are not perfect. Sometimes, it is even harder to admit that our kids aren't perfect either. We get so wrapped up in the mistakes we have made, or the ones our children have made that the mistake is all that we see. 


We are blinded to the opportunity to learn from and overcome those mistakes, so much so, that we lose sight of the bigger picture. The bigger picture that is the calling of every Dad, the heavenly father included. 

To Love
To Encourage
To Learn
To Grow
To Disciple  
To Teach
To Be

I don't want to keep anyone much longer. In fact, I'm not sure there is much more to say on the matter, but mistakes happen. When they do, especially when I make them with my kids or my wife, I tend to feel like I've failed. What I am coming to realize is that even though I feel that way when I realize what I've done, it doesn't mean I can't learn from that experience. It doesn't actually mean I am a failure. What it means is that I still need some love too. What it means is that I still need some encouragement too. What it means is that I'm learning how to grow, disciple and teach too. Its all part of being a dad and being a husband.

Being a Dad isn't easy, there will always be teachable moments. Being a teachable Dad means accepting the fact that mistakes just happen, they help us along the Journey.

Living by Faith, with our Family; 


M.E. 

No comments:

Post a Comment