Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Being A Dad with Motivated Choices

Hello and Welcome Home!


Learning what being a dad is all about is an ongoing journey, isn't it? We go through so many "life lessons" and we begin to think we might just be okay at this whole dad thing and BAMM! Something happens, we make a choice, a choice we really feel is the right one, but it turns out... It's the wrong one!

How often does this happen in your household? For me, this happens more often then I would like. When it does, I always get this gut-wrenching feeling that I need to fix it. What I've learned, well, the reality is I can't fix everything. No matter how much I want all my choices to be the best they can be, they won't be. I'm not a SuperDad after all.


Here is something to think about. Even though the choices we make are not always the best ones to be made, we can do our best to make those choices with the right motivation. I struggle with finding that motivation sometimes don't you? We try and try, then for whatever reason, our kids just don't understand why we made the choice we made. They don't understand why they need to do what has been asked of them.

Being a Dad can be hurtful at times, almost like hitting your head against a wall over, and over and over again. With every attempt to break down the wall it hurts worse and worse, but eventually, that wall will fall, or at least that's what I've been told.  anyway. Sometimes, that wall is just a little too hurtful though, and you need the right tools to knock it down. What are these tools? Well, I could write a book on that, but here are a few things I've used. 


1. Positive Reinforcement
2. Encouragement
3. Teamwork (My Wife is great at keeping me in check)
4. Rewarding Good Choices over Bad
5. Prayer (Easily the most important for me)


Each of these things, both towards my kids, and myself, have played a part in helping me find the right motivation behind my parenting choices. While the right motivation isn't there 100% of the time, I am encouraged to say that with each experience I have with being a dad to my children comes a new lesson learned, even if its a refresher course :-).  

"Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain." - 1 Corinthians 15:58 NIV

Living by Faith, with our Family,

M.E.



No comments:

Post a Comment