Sunday, February 23, 2020

Being a Dad in the Simple Things

Hello and Welcome Home!

Being a dad is just crazy sometimes, isn't it? I know this month has been crazy for our family. So much going on that offers little time for pleasantries such as writing a biweekly blog post. It has been a month since my last confession, wait, that's not what these are about. 


Learning what being a dad is about is an ongoing journey for me and at times I lose myself in the things of the world, like playing Pokemon Go with my kids or having movie nights with Frozen I and II or even making time for my loverly life. Sometimes there just isn't motivation is there to do bigger and better things. The things I do just don't seem to be enough. 

Reality Check Matt!

Those aren't things of the world, those are moments you should cherish!  Those are, in fact, moments that I should be proud of. It is hard to think that spending time doing seemingly frivolous things with my loved ones is something to be proud of. I lay this expectation on myself that everything I do has to be this amazing wonderful thing and it will really mean a lot to them. The truth I'm coming to learn is that it is the small things that matter more. 

As a father and a husband, I need to accept the fact that I'm not really SuperMatt; No matter how much I wish I could be. I have to come to terms with the reality that the expectation my wife and my children have of me isn't this mantra of doing everything. It is to show them I care, to show them that I will be there.  I don't have to do the biggest things in the word to show them how much I care. 

For Valentines Day this year my wife and I spend most of our time together after dinner driving around just talking. That is no big thing to some, but to her, and me, it actually meant... 

     The World. 

Truthfully, it was one of the best date nights we've had.  The other night I made my kids sit down and watch the 1990's version of 'The Borrowers.' Did they rebel at first? They sure did, but when it came down to it, watching that movie together really made them feel special. They got to see something daddy loved as a kid that they loved too. I was shocked at how into the movie they were; We've watched it 4 times since!!

Being a Dad doesn't always mean, I've got to buy any one of my kids the biggest, brightest and expensive new toy. What it means is that my kids know that I love then. What it means is that my kids know that whatever happens, I will do my best to help them get through it, and while I'm not the smartest, or toughest, Dad in the world, they CAN depend on me. 

Find Joy in being a Dad of the simple things, Find Joy in being a Dad that is present in their lives. 

"But now, Oh Lord, you are the father; we are the clay, and you are our potter, we are all the work of your hand." - Isaiah 64:8

Living by Faith, with our Family; 

M.E.

No comments:

Post a Comment