Sunday, September 23, 2018

Being a Father Inspired by Chaos


Hello and Welcome Home!

There are days when I, as a father of three toddlers, just really want to pull my hair out. My kids are crazy hyper and often way over sensitive. Sometimes being a father is just hard. Sometimes loving your children in spite of the choices they make may seem...

Impossible!

All THREE standing,
well running, in a row!
How often do you feel that way as a Dad? How often do you wonder if you are the right 'dad for the job.' I would imagine it happens at least once a week. I know it does for me.

Here is the reality though, we were all given gifts. Gifts from a higher power that believes we are the right 'dad for the job.' It doesn't matter how it came to be, but the kids we are given were given to us for a reason.

EVEN YOUR'S!!

Now, that may seem like a pun, or a pull, or something else, but it's not really. It's just a bit of encouragement, in the midst of your chaotic life. Yes, your life is chaotic, even if you refuse to see it for what it is. I know mine is and often it just doesn't seem like it matters.

The Oldest
Let me explain, I love my kids, I love them more than any one person on the face of the planet, well, except for maybe my wife. She puts up with way more than I ever hope too and is still able to get past the feeling described above. I don't want to get distracted, but man, she is freaking amazing.

I Could never do what she does!!

Don't get me wrong, I love my kids more every day and I am honored God picked me over all you other dads to father my kids. Don't get offended! I am sure you feel the same way about your own kids. Anyway, my kids teach me so many lessons with each passing moment I have with them.

I know what it's like to feel inadequate. I know what it's like to feel like you've failed your kids, your wife, your family. No haven't been to jail or lived a 'secret' life or anything like that, but I have failed. I have overreacted, I have had to 'walk it off.' Being a dad is hard work.

The younger two
As dads, we have this need to be that provider, to be the 'man of the house', to meet the financial goals to pay the bills, to work in a job you hate just to make sure your wife can take care of the kids at home or choose to go after their own dreams. I mean, you get up, spend eight hours 'renting' time you could be spending with your family to 'the man' simply because everything costs something.

It sucks!

For me though, at that moment, when I pull into the driveway after a hard and stressful day of 'time renting' changes everything. When I see my three kids run out onto the porch yelling 'daddy, daddy, guess what we did with mommy today', I see why I became a dad. I am loved, my kids are loved and by golly, my wife is loved too.

Waiting for Dad?
It has nothing to do with me, but everything to do with the way I choose to live. I am honored my heavenly father blessed me with being an earthly father. In the midst of the chaos, I see what it means to love and to be loved. There is nothing more special than that.

Being a father,  loving your children. It's something special. When you feel like everything is impossible. Know that love can open your eyes to the beauty of being a dad. Regardless of how you became a dad. You are one, so embrace it.

That's all for now!

Living by Faith, with our Family,

M.E

No comments:

Post a Comment